June 22, 2009
Fighting Robots Are Cool
While I wasn't a big fan of Michael Bay's Transformers, the 12-year-old robot geek inside me loved the bots he and his team created. I'm expecting the new movie to have the same frustrating mix of weak plot, frustrating side tangents, needless side plots and annoyingly lowest-common denominator "comic" relief. But I am also expecting bigger and better robot stuff. Here are some cool geeky facts about Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen:
* There were 14 robots last time. There are 46 robots this time.
* If you had all the gold ever mined in the history of man, you could build a little more than half of Devastator (seen here), a robot comprised of several smaller Decepticons. (Here's the old Devastator.)
* In one key sequence, Optimus Prime will be life size on IMAX screens.
* The first movie took 20 Terabytes of disk space. The sequel took 145 Terabytes. That's seven times bigger and would fill 35,000 DVDs. (That's gonna be awkward for NetFlix.)
* If you rendered the entire movie on a modern home PC, you would have had to start the renders 16,000 years ago to finish in time for the premiere.
* A single imax shot in the movie would have taken almost 3 years to render on a top of the line home PC running nonstop.